Thursday 9 October 2014

MY MAIDEN VOYAGE- TO NORTH INDIA

The moment my steadfast mind digs into any part or clue that relates to the year 2005, it narrows down to this one particular incident that has a left a deep impact in my heart. Yes, it was 4th January, 2005 and I know that for sure. How would you ever forget your first day in an express train that too your maiden trip to North India? My curiosity precedes my fear after hearing bundles of advices and prejudices about North India and North Indians. For instance, “Never step out of a train”; “Never trust anyone, or else they may kidnap you, cut your limbs, make you beg” etc. It happened a decade ago and I do have the right to fear, Haven’t I?

I was readying myself to attend the National Executive Committee Meeting representing Tamilnadu region in the National level. The place where I am preparing to is the capital of Uttar Pradesh- Jhansi. It was my sixth state to visit after Tamilnadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Goa, and the first among the North. After 17 hours long travel by bus from Kanyakumari to Chennai, I finally boarded the train: the magnificent, gigantic and royal- Grand Trunk Express- GT Express (later realized that this train has the highest record number of stations between Chennai and New Delhi).
To cut short my maiden North Indian adventure, I would like to pen down two or three close encounters that educated me. I was happy at the first place to come out of my comfort zone living safely at the tip of India, living anonymous life and unaware of the majority of riches that lies untouched and unexplored. The strange journey to an unknown place as a lone traveler provoked my survival instinct for the first time. It reminded me of the traditional proverbs, I have learnt in my childhood:
Look before you leap
Measure twice before you cut etc.
But the instinct forced me not to believe anyone and the resultant:
All strangers are liars.
All those who don’t speak my language are culprits.
As I start to build those pseudo assumptions, the miracle took place. I still believed that it was a providential set up, and I know that now. I was fast asleep for the very reason of baseless prejudices, extra cautiousness and above all, Hunger! Yes, I didn’t have any food for the whole day and its dinner time. I didn’t want to take the money out of the pocket and I didn’t like to risk by getting down and hence proved, I started pretending to be fast asleep.
‘Beta’, a frail voice called me and I could feel the hand on my head. I got up and looked at the motherly face, who was my co traveler with her one big happy family, continued further having something in her hand, “Beta! Rotti?” I never said ‘No’ and couldn’t say as I don’t know a word of Hindi and started having my delicious simple meal. I hurried for my bottle of water as I am very well aware of the fact that I get hiccups whenever I taste good food.
I still remember the taste, the every swallow of it. Since I never knew those words “Nahi’ or ‘Dhanyawad’ one roti went up to three and finally I called it a day. I never thanked them for the meal. We just exchanged our smiles and I particularly for their sacrifice and generosity. After a while when I continued my sleep, my inner voice told me, “You don’t need a language to understand one’s hunger, feelings or emotions” It’s true indeed. We all as humans are interconnected. I realized that my mind is now calm and relaxed. My heart started beating normally. I felt at home. I felt tired and I wanted to rest peacefully, because I know now that I am not alone…
To be continued… 
About Unknown

Pellentesque penatibus, sed rutrum viverra quisque pede, mauris commodo sodales enim porttitor. Magna convallis mi mollis, neque nostra mi vel volutpat lacinia, vitae blandit est, bibendum vel ut. Congue ultricies, libero velit amet magna erat. Orci in, eleifend venenatis lacus.

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Believe Become Begin...

© [Leo Joseph] , [2016]. All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.

About me

Story teller. Literature Lover. An expert in the art of Pretending. 'Youthoholic'- "You are Young, that's enough for me to love you" Unpredictable in nature, Cheerful, humourous, Loveable, At times extremely dangerous. A witty fool, sometimes a foolish wit too!

Follow us on facebook

Instagram

Followers

Contact Us

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "

Search This Blog

Menu

Author